Home Forums 3d Race Replay Map scroll/zoom does not work with Mac computer

• Creator
    Topic

I’m watching replays on my Mac Powerbook laptop.  Unfortunately the pan/zoom feature for the map does not seem to be compatible with the Mac touchpad.  I tried pinching in/out to zoom, one finger to scroll and other combinations but all that happens is the map simultaneously zooming in and scrolling to some faraway land.

I have a Mac mouse too and tried that as well, with the same effect

Has anyone else had issues with Mac touchpad compatibility and have a workaround?

• Author
    Replies

We are aware of this bug but can’t reproduce it in our lab.  Can you please describe the sequence of actions which lead to this issue.  We also looking for other users who might have similar issue.

The sequence of events is simple: every single time I try to change the view of the race course on the map, the map seems to do a combination of zooming out and scrolling at such a high rate of speed that one can’t see what’s happening.  After a few seconds, the map eventually zooms out to the full Earth view and the trackpad no longer accepts commands.  At that point the only way to see my race again is to click on one of the race view options and it automatically zooms back in.

This happens whether I use two fingers on the trackpad or three and happens regardless of whether I “click” on the trackpad while doing the gesture or simply rest my fingers on the trackpad.

This bug in effect has reduced the operability of the interface for me to near zero.  Unusable if I can’t scroll around.

I’ve created a video of me reproducing the problem. It is available at:  http://youtu.be/OEW6wlvWliU

Another interesting development.  If I load up a race on Firefox, using the new Cesium interface, the problem is the same.  However if I switch back to the original Google Earth map, then there is no problem.  I am able to pan/scroll with a one finger press and hold, and zoom in/out using a two finger press on the touch pad.

The problem therefore appears to be at least in part due to the new map interface.

Christopher, “Touch” tab of the hint relates to touch screens, not touchpads. For web sites, touchpad is almost indistinguishable from mouse. Please refer to “Mouse” tab of the hint.

1. Pan

– Mouse: move while holding primary button pressed. This should just work. With any mouse. Although, some users report strange bug here, which we can’t reproduce. Any help (steps) is appreciated.

– Touchpad: move while holding primary button pressed (or if “tap to click” is enabled: down-up-down-move). For the app this is indistinguishable from mouse. Same bug could manifestate.

2. Zoom

– 3-button mouse: rotate the wheel or drag with right button.

– 2-button touchpad: drag with right button pressed.

– 1-button mouse: no luck. In addition to (+) and (-) on-screen buttons we need keyboard shortcuts.

– 1-button touchpad: no luck. While there are various zooming gestures, they are too diverse and can’t be reliably used in a web app (until somewhat standardized and supported by browsers).

3. Tilt/Rotate

– 3-button mouse: drag with middle button.

– 1-button mouse and touchpad: no luck. In addition to on-screen compass and tilt button we may need keyboard shortcuts. Currently, we use left/right arrows to step replay backward/forward and up/down arrows to increase/decrease replay speed (by analogy with YouTube player). We could use arrows+some modifier key (Shift, Alt, etc.) to tilt/rotate. Should we then use “plain” arrows to pan and find other keys for steps and speed?

Action items:

1. Learn to reproduce and fix the bug

2. Assign zoom in/out to [+] and [-] keys

3. Discuss other keyboard shortcuts

Christopher, can you confirm you have an issue panning with a mouse?

– is it persistent or intermittent?

– any previous steps?

– does the same happens on Cesium w/o raceQs?

http://cesiumjs.org/Cesium/Build/Apps/CesiumViewer/index.html

Thank you.

If I just go to the Cesium website through either Chrome or Firefox, everything works.  With trackpad on the Mac laptop:

two finger press + drag up = zoom out

two finger press + drag down = zoom in

three finger touch + move around any direction = pan

one finger press + move around any direction = pan

I can’t get the screen to rotate using my trackpad

If using my Apple Mouse:

swipe up = zoom out (like a scroll wheel)

swipe down = zoom in (like a scroll wheel)

press and hold while moving any direction = pan

CTRL + left click and hold + drag left or right= rotate

CTRL + left click and hold + drag up or down= tilt
    So to answer your questions: (I’LL USE CAPS TO IDENTIFY MY TEXT.  I’M NOT YELLING

1. Pan:

Mouse: YES THIS WORKS FINE FOR ME ON CESIUM WEBSITE

Touchpad: YES THIS WORKS FINE FOR ME ON CESIUM WEBSITE

2. Zoom:

Mouse: I HAVE AN APPLE MOUSE.  SEE ABOVE

Touchpad: PERHAPS THE ISSUE IS THE PROGRAMMABILITY OF THE APPLE TRACKPAD, MAKING STANDARDIZATION DIFFICULT

I CAN TILT AND ROTATE USING THE CTRL BUTTON PLUS MOUSE CLICK AND THEN EITHER LEFT/RIGHT (ROTATE) OR UP/DOWN (TILT) HOWEVER I CAN’T GET THIS FEATURE TO WORK WITH TRACKPAD.  NOTE THAT THIS IS ON CESIUM WEBSITE ONLY!  THROUGH THE RACEQ INTERFACE, NONE OF THIS WORKS AT ALL.

Is issue persistent or intermittent: PERSISTENT.

Any previous steps:  ??NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN

Does the same thing happen in Cesium without Raceq’s?  AS MENTIONED ABOVE, ON CESIUM WITHOUT RACEQ I EXPERIENCE NO DIFFICULTIES, ALTHOUGH THE FUNCTIONALITY IS NOT ALWAYS BY THE SAME COMBO OF ACTIONS AS THE WEBSITE DESCRIBES, I CAN MAKE IT WORK.

THE ISSUE IS DEFINITELY SPECIFIC TO THE RACEQ INTERFACE WITH CESIUM.

ALSO IMPORTANT: IF I LOAD UP A RACE IN FIREFOX USING GOOGLE EARTH AS THE MAP, THINGS WORK FINE.  BUT IF I SWITCH TO CESIUM, THE PROBLEM IS THE SAME AS WHAT I DESCRIBED ABOVE AND POSTED IN THE VIDEO.
    I’ll switch back to non-caps.  In Firefox with Google Earth and using the Apple mouse:

left press + move = pan
    right press + move up/down in zoom out/in
    rotate = ??

Using Firefox/Google Earth with trackpad:
    two finger press + drag up = zoom out

two finger press + drag down = zoom in

three finger touch + move around any direction = pan

one finger press + move around any direction = pan

I can’t get the screen to rotate using my trackpad

Not sure how much help this is.  To sum up, my my Mac right now the only way I can use Raceq’s is using Firefox with Google Earth, not Cesium.

Hi

I also get this problem.  None of the mouse gestures (whether on the pad or mouse) work properly (pinch zoom, pan, rotate…).  Any attempt to pan using click-drag results in a hectic pan miles away from the course area!

I get the same results as Christopher on the mac in Firefox, Chrome & Safari.  I’ve not seen this problem at all on my Windows notebook.

John

One piece of information that may help here.

If I open the side bar & choose regatta setup, then select a mark to edit, now the controls work correctly (but pinch zoom doesn’t work – but then it doesn’t on the Cesium web site either).

It continues to work OK when I close the side bar and FOR AS LONG AS I DO NOT PRESS ANY OF THE RACE PERSPECTIVE BUTTONS.  Once I press one of the perspectives (fleet, course view, helm view etc.) things go wrong again.

Regards

John

The pan, zoom, etc are not functioning properly for me either when using the Cesium version of replays.

I believe we’ve this fixed finally. Can you confirm please?

Seems good to me – tried with Firefox & Chrome on OS X & works just fine.  Needed to clear cache first (not surprisingly).

Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. or