Home Forums Phone App Live Tracking Using GPS Trackers

• Creator
    Topic

Hello RaceQs community

I have been following raceqs for a while now and the features and 3D replay seems outstanding! However I will like to know if is possible to upload GPS information directly to the server using GPS Trackers. We have around 200 GPS Trackers that we currently use for sports tracking like MTB , Paddle Boarding, RoadBike etc . This trackers have a GSM Modem that could push the location to a server.  In theory we could install all the GPS trackers record the event and then upload each GPS Track file to replay what happened however it will be amazing if this data could be push directly to the server to have a Phone App experience but without the use of smartphones.

What you think? Could this be done?

Best Regards!

• Author
    Replies

Angel,

Yes, theoretically this should work. In practice we’ll need to:

1. find out how to configure these trackers to send data to raceQs server

2. find out what format they use

3. make raceQs understand this format

4. come up with a way to map a tracker to a boat

To start with, please send us manuals for these trackers. Or at least their full model name.

We are interested in such a device. Previously, we have searched the market but haven’t found any good. Maybe it’s time to revisit.

Thank you

Hello RaceQs

Glad to hear from you. I do have all this information and much more. I’m sure I could provide you the protocol information of our model and I could also provide you protocols for around 50 trackers in the future. This means RaceQs could eventually provide support for a variety of GPS trackers on the market.

Could you please tell me what email address should I send the information?

Best Regards,

Angel

Hi,

I have been evaluating various race tracking systems and have been very impressed with Raceqs. There is only one point which gives me concern. If the user deliberately or inadvertently changes their phone time they appear plotted with the phone time rather than the precise GPS time.

So I have two questions.

1. Can the system be forces to use GPS time no matter what the phone time is set to.

2. Do you support any dedicated trackers which would always be known to be accurate.

We are hoping to use Racesq for a up comming regatter by need to ensure accuracy. This question being related to the original post.

Angel, did you get your trackers working?

Cheers

Graeme

Hello gsbooker

Thanks for your interest. I was able to get in touch with raceQs support team and they setup a testing account for this scenario. I placed 15 GPS Trackers directly to a small local regata and this trackers where sending the data to my local server. Then I export all the data recorded and manually upload it to RaceQs backend. The result was acceptable. The GPS Trackers where setup to send data every 5 seconds however they recommend us to setup the GPS trackers to send location every 2 seconds.

In that particular time the GPS trackers we where using did not have such feature however we do have a new version now that is capable of sending data almost in real time (2 secs or less) . In theory we could make this happen but will need to get in touch with RaceQs developing team again to see if they are interested.

Our inventory consist of 200 autonomous GPS Trackers (battery life from 7hrs to 48hrs) that we rent to events coordinators around USA & Caribbean. This way for a small fee event coordinators could have such technology for a affordable price. Feel free to take a look at http://www.sportswithgps.com

Thanks!

Hi Angle,

Thank you very much for the reply.

What your doing sounds great, I would be very keen to hear how you go with the near real time upload trackers. It sounds like a great service you are proposing.

I’m over in Australia so it might be a bit outside your service area. Plus Au, US sims and accounts would present isues being in different cointries suspect.

Thanks

Cheers

Graeme

Great post, a lot of stuff in here i did not know about

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. or