Home Forums Phone App High Frequency GPS support?

• Creator
    Topic

Recently started using Raceqs, very cool app. Thanks!

I have a Dual Bluetooth GPS (http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/) which I use for other things like geocaching, etc. In addition to less battery drain and better gps antenna than a phone, it comes with a wrist strap, so I can leave the phone below. It also supports 5hz sampling rate for very accurate positioning, esp when moving.

I used the Dual with RaceQS on Android just yesterday, and that seems to work just fine. But not sure that raceqs takes advantage of the higher sampling rate. A few of the ipad-based chart plotter apps (ie. iNavX or Anchor!) listed on the Dual site as being compatible – presumably in that they can take advantage of the better positioning.

Thoughts? (note: I do not work for Dual)

Chris (Woodside, CA)

• Author
    Replies

Chris,

We did tested Dual Bluetooth GPS in our lab and it works with raceQs. The quality of the GPS signal is superb but the unit does not provide 5 hz recording as advertised. We had contacted the manufacturer and did not get any meaningful answers. for sailing it is not important since your max boat speed about 5 m/sec and gps quality is about +/- 2 m. Capturing GPS points every fifth of a second does provide any value but make the track much bigger.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. or