I did some experimenting with the app on the water yesterday, and have a few more questions.
I set the wind direction manually to NW to give it a starting point. At some point, probably after a few tacks, I checked the indicated direction, and it had changed. That said, it’s not clear to me what conditions the app requires to determine that the boat has tacked, to provide tack analysis, and to update it’s understanding of TWD.
– does the app have to think it’s “racing” ?
– how close to the correct wind direction does manually set direction have to be for the app to recognize a tack ?
– I didn’t notice any alert about a tack analysis being available, so I never saw a tack analysis appear…. so without a vibration alert, I would have to stare at the watch after a tack in order to see an analysis (the only indication that the app recognized a tack) to know if it recognized a tack, and to see the tack statistics. A vibrate alert would be a nice addition, as well as a longer display of tack stats, or displaying stats until you swipe that report away.
– Twice while we were sailing I glanced at the watch and saw a screen that showed only IQ! The only way to exit that screen was to back out of the app. The watch was well charged (about 75% that evening after the sail), so it wasn’t a battery issue. I’ve looked at the owner’s manual for the Vivoactive and don’t see any description of that screen / indication. Can you tell me what was going on there, and how to keep it from happening ?
– The app seems to save some state when you exit the app, even things like racing state seem to be saved and re-loaded when you restart the app. Can you tell me what is saved / restored, and what is lost and has to be re-done when the app is restarted ?