Home Forums FAQ changing wind data

• Creator
    Topic

How do you change the calculated wind direction. In the last track I uploaded it is wrong.

• Author
    Replies

In order to change the wind direction the course should be set up, meaning there is a start and finish line and rounding marks. You can change the wind direction by clicking on the rhumb line and overriding the wind guessed by the system. You only can have one wind direction per leg.

You can also put a gate in the middle of a leg to simulate a condition where the wind or current was significantly different.
    Put the gate at the point in the course where the change occurred and make it wide enough so that all the boats sail through it. You can then set the wind and current separately for each “leg”.

Andy

Some details.

Currently, wind can be adjusted on per-leg basis:

– Go to “Setup” tab in the right panel

– Click any mark name in “Race Course” to open “Leg Details” dialog

– Adjust Wind Direction

This will NOT set the wind for the whole leg. Rather, it will add “wind fact” to the END of the leg (when a boat reaches corresponding mark). Start = “leg zero”. Other “wind facts” are produced by tacks. And than the system interpolates wind between all those.

We think this should cover most situations. Please, let us know of any case where it doesn’t work and we’ll think if can do better. Possibly, we need an UI to add wind facts anywhere. We just do not want to complicate things unless absolutely necessary.

P.S. As Andy pointed out, if one needs more granular control she can create a bogus intermediate leg just to adjust the wind. Not too elegant though. Again, how often does this happen?

I’m logging True Wind Speed (TWS) and True Wind Direction (TWD) (amongst man others) in my Android logger app and am recording it in the gpx track file. I would like to be able to include it in the raceQs race replay and have sent a them number of messages over the past two weeks on the subject but have not received a response as yet.
    References:
    A comprehensive description of my StarTraX Tactician smart watch app
    My 3D GPS track replay system StarTraX
    A recent video of StarTraX on my Facebook page.
    A sample GPX file with TWS/TWD as well as start/finish and course route attached – which failed to upload with a security violation notice!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. or